Thursday, May 26, 2011

Meatless Mondays

One day I decided our Mediterranean diet needed some tweaking. I announced to my meat-loving carnivorous husband that we were going to maintain our mediterranean status minus the meat for one day a week. I thought my announcement would cause an uproar but instead was told, "Okay as long as we can still have pasta."

And so as I prepared the upcoming week's meals, I stumbled upon an interesting widget on the world wide web. I clicked on the pink piggy face and was introduced to the concept of "Meatless Mondays." Seeing this new idea spring up on the Food Channel confirmed the fact that losing the meat one day a week had many benefits - healthwise, budgetwise, timewise and earthwise!

The Meatless Mondays campaign meatlessmonday.com is led by Sid Lerner, a former Madison Avenue ad exec, in partnership with the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. This concept is attracting the support of several top name chefs, including Mario Batali.

Sign me up!

No comments: