Friday, December 28, 2012

They All Have A Name!




This one got to me! I found a tv show called Pitbulls & Parolees on the Animal Channel recently. Because I am into prison ministry and animal rescue, this reality type show has become a regular program in my DVR schedule. It has both aspects of humanity which I am all about. Pitbulls and Parolees is people saving animals, second chances and parolees getting to see what animals suffer "behind bars". The parolees can do something about this sad situation because they are finally free.  I love what Tia does for people and animals by giving both a second chance!

Check it out for yourself http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/pitbulls-and-parolees

This past weekend I rescued a three pound chiwawa (sp?!) Ha Ha. Just before pulling into my parents home for a two day Christmas celebration, in front of our big Jeep appeared a very tiny dog with a huge (mega huge) rhinestone and aurora borealis encrusted collar. The cute dog was obviously not supposed to be in that road by itself. In horror, before jumping out of the still rolling Jeep I looked up in the sky and there were vultures on the rooftop just beyond this waif.

I crouched down and in my sweetest voice coaxed the baby into my arms. Honestly, I was sure that this was a Christmas gift sent to me from above! She was calm, comfortable in my arms and ready to be snuck into my parents condo. Alas, my parents would not allow her inside and since she had a few very active fleas on her head, we brought her to the Community Lost and Found where after I drilled the two boys behind the counter to make sure she would make it through the nite somewhere safely inside so we could find her owner - and if not, I could buy more time to convince my husband to take her home to our vet to check for a chip.

I checked back in before the end of the day and after hanging at the Lost and Found for an hour, suddenly the owner was found. The biggest blessing was that I got to meet Mercedes' mom and dad (I had already named her December!) They had no idea she had gotten out, had a chip but no id tag and promised after Christmas they would get her an id tag for that huge collar with the bling.

Ah - deep breath I had done my job! It was so fun to bless someone with saving their precious pet. In celebration of Mercedes (December) here is a video with a happy ending.

Save a pet today. 

A New Year's challenge: Get your indoor kitties collars with id even if you don't think their paw pads will ever hit terra firma, volunteer at your local animal shelter, inquire about donating bedding, food, or a loving temporary or permanent home to a pet - - - even if they aren't willing to wear a rhinestone studded collar or have a fancy name like Mercedes!

Happy New Year - oh and smiles are mandatory for viewing this one......

1 comment:

writeonreflections.blogspot.com said...

Great story with a super message! I really enjoyed reading about it.